Sunday, September 27, 2009

Journey to the Nepal and while at Nepal.....


20th September early morning was somehow a mixture of feelings of sadness and joy for me. A number of disciples were at airport to send me off to Nepal. I always feel joyous going back Nepal to see my Lamas, disciples and mother but at same time, I know I will miss those people in Singapore who are always so close to me. Well, separation and reunion are part and parcel of life and as long as consciousness is within this physical body, we may not be totally free from attachment and we have to accept it. That doesn’t mean that we are hopeless in our development of enlightenment. The path that we follow up, constantly analyzing our daily lifestyle to progressively transform into more positive thoughts and actions is first step. Though this first step may still be within emotional bondage, it becomes more lax that way. It gives us a chance to understand what life is and also to live more meaningfully and happily. We can’t just fix our minds like a machine that can be instantly fixed with new parts and allow it to start functioning until it wears out. Mind training should be gradual. Fixing our minds with knowing the right views can’t just change the whole circumstances but eliminating Karmic cause and habitual tendency is an actual mode of progress that needs gradual and step by step training.

So, though attachment is not a good thing, nonetheless, having a little attachment may be useful as it can be a teaching tool. If you don’t have that within you, then is nothing for you to realize and if you do not realize, then there is no possibility to actualize the wisdom, i.e. to realize the nature of self and phenomenon. By this way, the emotions that we have actually play a very important role, as they can be one of the unavoidable causes for our realization. That doesn’t mean we should maintain such emotions and let them to develop further. We should apply an antidote force on such emotions to disperse them or make them less aggressive. Then gradually with the right method, we can recognize and transform them into wisdom.

We live in the world with a mixture of feelings that at times contain slight happiness, yet it is still in the midst of suffering nature because it initiated by our emotional state of mind. As long as this emotional controlling element exists in our life, we will definitely be obstructed by ignorance and we are likely to misinterpret issues as reality. While we are in this communal world, we have to live like others and think like them but that doesn’t mean we must hold the same or similar views like them. We are fortunate because we found a truth based on the Buddha’s teaching. It is the total solution of liberation from suffering and that is a completely right view, which can lead us to the right path and eventually attain enlightenment.


After my arrival to Kathmandu, I was happy to see Lama and friends at Kirtipur. There are no major changes except Kirtipur has good news and that is they managed to find a water source and pipe to the institute. Currently, the water is still in testing in its testing stage to ensure its quality. I stayed a few days at Kirtipur and during the time, many of my disciples came to see me. We have long conversations over general matters and a little bit of Dharma teachings.


The night prior to my departure to Nepal, the recording of the master copy of audio CD has come out. I listened to it on the plane and found it is good now. The CD is being produced in Singapore and cover I have re-designed it in Nepal. Its new look is more ‘Tibetan’ with Tibetan and English lyrics. One of my Nepali disciples wishes to sponsor this revised 2nd batch of Mother Song. It will be ready in one or two weeks’ time. It may be difficult to send it to overseas but hopefully, we can upload it onto the Internet for downloading. It would be most wonderful if any Singaporean can help me in this area as my friends and devotees in the USA and Europe may not able to receive the physical CD so soon.


New Design of Audio CD

Over here in Pokhara, life is as usual and the monks are doing well in their studies and duties. Currently, we are doing 100 deities puja for 3 days as the Nepali festival Dhasain has already started. Dhasain is the longest (15 days of celebration) and one of the most celebrated events in Nepal. During this festival, most of the Hindu Nepalese celebrates the anniversary of Lord Ram who executed Rawan whom they believe is evil. So they visit temples and sacrifice animals to the god. Overall, most of the Hindu temples are drenched with the blood of animals and it becomes a very terrifying atmosphere. We Buddhists do a lot of prayers at such a time to dedicate merits to these poor animals which are mostly brought in from Tibet. When they arrive in Nepal, they are slaughtered as animal sacrifice to the temples and their bloods are offered to the god. The meat is then given to the participants of the offering to bring home. It is a good time to do prayers and with great love and compassionate thoughts, to dedicate merits to the animal.


I sincerely wish and requesting that whoever read my blog would to do some short prayers such as Om Mani Padme Hung and with compassionate nature, dedicate to the animals. I am sure this will help the animals find great relief during the intermediate stage although it is beyond our capacity to save their lives. I will be very happy if you do that and we Buddhists should feel the sufferings of our mother sentient beings and especially the suffering of beings that most urgently need our assistance. Thank you for such a noble act for these sentient beings.



While in Pokhara, there seems many programme awaiting me due to my long absence. I need to fulfill their requests of initiations and prayers as well as consultations. I will try to update my blog from time to time.

Lighting lamp and make a prayers for Sentient beings during 27th - 29th Oct during the festival of Dhasain (Dhashara).

10 comments:

Loving Kindness@Samsara said...

Rinpoche, is it too much to ask you for a copy of the CD in this new cover? Look forwrad to receive it so that I can play in my car.

Thank you
Lian

Yih-Toong said...

Dear Rinpoche-la..

Nice to read the blog from Pokhara .. Wonder when I will be there again, hopefully soon ..

Will do the short prayer whenever I can ..

And I will be in Delhi next week .. wondering what will I be seeing there .. :-)

BTW .. nice cover design .. :-)

with metta,
yt

Anonymous said...

Dear Rinpochela,

Sad to hear about the poor animals and so much blood shed. How can any compassionate gods be happy or appeased? Will pray for these helpless beings.

Om Mani Padme Hung

metta,
meng

Anonymous said...

Rinpoche-la,

Thank you for being ever so compassionate. It is always so sad to hear of death and lives being mindlessly killed. Here in Singapore, near end November, the muslims will also be doing a lot of animal sacrifice, mainly goats. Will keep all sentient beings in mind and pray for them.

Please write when you have time, so we know how you have been.

May you, Ahma-yoom and all be well and healthy.

See you soon.

Yeshi Drolma

Anonymous said...

Dear Shangpa Rinpoche

I am aware that you are abroad at the moment and will only be back in Singapore next year.

However, I hope to hear your opinions over a matter.

Hence, I was wondering if you have an email address/msn account through which I may contact you..

Thank you
Lee

Unknown said...

Dear Rinpoche,

Long time without reading your blog... but nice I read you again, and you also tell good news. I heared the song and it´s increadible and amazing. When avaliable to be bought from Europe I will buy it for sure.

Please, receive my best wishes and kindest regards.

Love,

Dani (La Coruña)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rinpoche,
It's been a while i did not visit your blog. I used to have this thrill to read updates in your blog, especially with all your encounter and allowing us to share your thoughts too. Looking forward to have a copy of your new CD and will also dedicate our prayers to all the unfortunate animals. Hope to read more update in your blog soon and take care.

with metta,
Mrs Chan

Anonymous said...

Korean Cesilia at cesiliahnlee@hotmail.com

Dear Ven. Shangpa Rinpoche,

There might be a reason that I feel warmness in my heart when I listen to your song. Very nice. Very very nice.

I introduced your Blog site to my uncle back in Korea ( he is professor, and practicing meditation). He replied me that he was really touched by your articles and wishes to meet you someday..

I will see how we can make this happen..

Thanks to you always.
Cesilia

i said...

rinpoche,
Looking forward to reading some new articles from you, must be difficult for you to go online at nepal.
Hope to read some new updates soon and wishing you all the best. Do take care.
Rgds,
Mrs Chan

Loving Kindness@Samsara said...

Rinpoche

Wherever you are...all the best for 2010. May you be safe, healthy and acheived all your projects successfully. I pray for Rinpoche's long life so that Beings may benefits from your Teachings and Presence.

With Deep Veneration
Lian