Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Birthday Speech

Good evening Rinpoche, Khenpo, Lamas, Honourable Guests and Devotees. It makes me very happy to see so many of you here tonight to join me in celebrating my 51st birthday. I would like to especially thank everyone for taking the time to attend this function.


Over the past few weeks, many of you, not just from Singapore, but people from various regions have sent me birthday greetings and long life wishes personally, or via email and phone. Many are here tonight to celebrate with me. Quite a number have also taken part in the retreat or recitation of Tara’s mantra. When I was touring Malaysia recently, each centre I visited organized a birthday celebration for me. Everyone present was so excited and celebrated so joyfully with me at each of these occasions. Words cannot express how touched I am. I am really overwhelmed by your thoughtfulness and kindness. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Every day, I wish you well and dedicate merits for your well-being and good health.

Many of you have known me since I first came to Singapore over 20 years ago at Shamar Rinpoche’s request. Since then, I have come to know many more of you. I would like to sincerely thank all of you for placing your faith and confidence in me and for tirelessly supporting my many missions and projects. Without your unfailing support and help in these works, I would not have been able to fulfill my various visions. Whatever success I have achieved is either directly or indirectly, due to your participation and assistance, and a result of our collective efforts.

Every year, from the beginning of September until my birthday, I receive numerous well-wishes and birthday greetings from all of you. I still recall one year when I was ill with dengue fever, many of you were concerned and sent your best wishes for my speedy recovery. Your thoughtfulness towards me warms my heart and reminds me constantly of my commitment and responsibility to develop the qualities necessary to liberate all sentient beings. Your kindness towards me encourages and inspires me to continue on my path to benefit all sentient beings by my daily thoughts and actions.

His Holiness the 16th Gyalwa Karmapa had great aspirations for the centre in Singapore. He was convinced that it would develop into a very important focal point for the practice and propagation of Lord Buddha’s pure and profound teachings in the South East Asian region. He believed that the knowledge and practice of Karma Kagyu teachings would bring awareness, clarity, compassion, peace and equanimity to those who studied it, and ultimately benefit the community in which these individuals live.

As an expression of their faith in His Holiness the 16th Gyalwa Karmapa’s great wish and vision for Karma Kagyu in Singapore, members and devotees have decided to set as their great goal the construction of a new and larger Karma Kagyu Centre, on its current site at Geylang. The new building will be able to accommodate many more people, cater to the increasing number of devotees and also members of the public who wish to learn the Buddha Dharma. It is the next logical step in our progressive efforts to fulfill His Holiness’s vision.

The fund raising project for the new Centre was launched in 2005. Efforts to raise money were difficult as the economy went through an uncertain time. Each of you has financial commitments. I understand that it is sometimes a challenge to juggle all your responsibilities and, on top of that, to focus on allocating a certain sum of funds for the propagation of the Dharma.

The Centre has decided to re-launch the fund raising project for the construction of a new Centre with a new team in charge. I have every confidence in this team and have no doubt that it has the skills and leadership to make the fund raising project a success. I hope all of you will try to contribute towards this meritorious endeavour. Together, we have accomplished a great deal. It is my great wish that we should continue to do so.

I am confident that with the whole-hearted support of each member, devotee and well-wisher, this project will be accomplished with great success. I also believe that the construction of a new building is a necessary development as part of Karma Kagyu’s intention to propagate the Buddha Dharma to as many people as possible. The new Centre will also, on top of continuing with teachings and practices, develop social welfare activities and programmes to benefit those in the community. I therefore, earnestly request all of you to support this noble project in whatever way you can, and urge you to be a part of this vision to develop, educate, propagate, and contribute to the society.

Finally, I would like to thank each and every one of you for your continued support. As I mentioned at the beginning of my speech, every project that I undertake is only successful because of your encouragement and faith in me. Each of you has contributed in some way to make all my visions a reality. Nothing that I have achieved would be possible without you working together with me. You have never let me down. I am very grateful for your continuing support. I am always aware of your care and concern for my well-being and welfare. I will always remember and treasure your thoughtfulness and kindness. I would especially like to thank those who helped to organize the recent series of meaningful events such as the 3 days Tara retreat; the pledge from everyone on the recitation of the Tara mantra; the release of animals; and my birthday celebration tonight.

Wherever I am, I wish each of you success in every noble intention and action that you are undertaking. And every day, I say prayers for you and ask that you receive blessings from all the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas. Through my sincere heart, with this aspiration, may we and all sentient beings attain enlightenment.

Thank you very much.


Karma Kagyud Buddhist Committee

Birthday Cake

Birthday celebration dinner.

3 comments:

Karma Mingjur Wangchuk said...

Happy Birthday from us in Denmark. best regards clause

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Rinpochela!

We have a great time celebrating your birthday.

Thank you for being a such a wonderful and kind teacher. Your guidance and love to us are immeasurable. We are very fortunate to have you as our Buddha Dharma sherpa.

May you have a healthy, happy, long life and may all your spiritual endeavours be swiftly fulfilled.

cheers,
meng

Anonymous said...

Dearest Rinpoche,
It's been a great birthday dinner n wishing u good health and may all your dreams come true, especially the rebuilding of a new centre....
Warm Regards,
Mrs Chan